Friday, March 25, 2016

What Happened Last Night

Normally, when I write about a concert experience, I describe the event in as much detail as possible. I usually begin with what I did before the show, and then take you through the entire show song by song. I think I will do things a little bit differently, since what I saw last night was something I would consider to be landmark moment in my life. I think instead of going through the whole setlist, I will just focus on the moments that meant the most to me. Last night, I watched David Gilmour for the very first time at the Hollywood Bowl. It was 3 emotional hours of magic. I told Dylan afterward that David is to me what Stevie Wonder is to him: the very best there is.

When I heard David was going to tour, it was July 2015. I had previously accepted that he was retired from touring due to the tragic 2008 death of Richard Wright. David was (and still is!) my favorite musician, but I guessed that I just wasn't meant to see him live, so the announcement of a new album and tour was a wonderful surprise. Actually, it was a dream come true. I had longed to see David ever since I first heard him back in 2009. He was the first musician whose music moved me to tears. I had made in my mind a concert "bucket list," putting him in first place, over any other band I wanted to see. I even told my dad that he would not have to ask me if I would rather see David or someone else if tours overlapped, since he should already know the answer. It was a very long wait (8 months to be exact), but it most definitely was worth it. Just as I did with King Crimson, I left my phone in the car once we parked so that I could experience this show as best I could without any distractions.

The show consisted of two sets, with a 15-minute break in between. The first half was mostly dedicated to playing material from David's latest solo album Rattle That Lock. The second half was mostly dedicated to Pink Floyd material. However, both sets were beautifully done. It was a great combination of sights and sounds. It was colorful, and music filled the entire venue.

I have seen well over 35 concerts since 2010, from performances in venues that seated from 150 to 90,000. But none of them moved me or impacted me nearly as much as last night did. Last night was a night I had dreamed of experiencing since I was 12 years old. Last night, I cried at 3 different points in the show. I had never cried before at a concert, not even when I saw Roger Waters in 2010 and 2012. The first time was during David's guitar solo in a song called "The Blue." I have always loved that solo, and he played it so perfectly that the tears started coming and wouldn't stop until the song was over. I didn't want to make a scene, but I was fortunately able to cry in peace. The other two times were during the moment I had always dreamed of experiencing: the performance of "Comfortably Numb."

I've been playing guitar for 8 years, and have been a Pink Floyd fan for 7 years. Through that time, I have heard many people cover the guitar solo for "Comfortably Numb," and even attempted to do so myself at one point. All were good, but the one musical moment I longed for more than anything else was to hear David himself play it live in person, and last night, that longing was fulfilled. I teared up plenty for the first solo, but I mainly wanted to hear him play the last solo at the end, which is nothing more than the most wonderful, emotional, and soulful guitar solo I have ever heard to this day, and I have heard many great guitar solos. Once that solo started, so did the tears. I actually cried pretty hard during that time. They were tears of pure joy and satisfaction. I never thought I would get to experience such a thing. It really reminded me of why music is so special to me. I thought of all the wonderful people I now have in my life because of music. I have shared many great experiences with them over the years. Without David or "Comfortably Numb," or The Wall, I probably never would have been inspired to branch out and explore other bands that also worked to create meaningful and timeless music. Also, given the current trend of musicians passing on, I am extra grateful I was able to get the chance to see David while he is still with us.

Last night is a night I surely will cherish always, and I look forward to living it all again this Sunday night.

A big 10/10

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing, glad you were able to see David play but more, to see your dreams come true, and again on Sunday. Living the dream!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so happy that you got your deepest musical wish.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so happy that you got your deepest musical wish.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's so cool. I went to Lush recently, the shoegazing band that initially played primarily from 1988 through 1996, and was a bit wistful myself. Pure memories. The solo that David Gilmour plays for "Comfortably Numb" is pure magic and emotion.....both parts.

    ReplyDelete