Friday, March 25, 2016

Comfortably Numb

When I was 12 years old, my guitar teacher showed me a song called "Is There Anybody Out There?" by this band called Pink Floyd. It was truly unlike anything I had ever heard before. When I came home from practice that day, my dad said that that song was part of this concept rock album called The Wall. He said I should listen to it since I really liked that song I heard. Well, eventually, I did sit down and give the album a complete listen. When that album was over, I knew that it had taken great effect on me. For the first time in my life, I learned how to connect with music on an emotional level. The moment where I realized this was when I heard "Comfortably Numb." That was the first time a guitar solo had driven me to tears. That was my introduction to the genius of David Gilmour. From that song, I realized that music didn't have to be complicated in order to be memorable. Before that album, I had been introduced to the likes of Joe Satriani, Eddie Van Halen, and Jeff Beck. All are great of course, but I believed that in order to be a great guitarist, you had to be able to play as fast as they did. "Comfortably Numb" changed that for me. The simplicity of the chord progression and guitar solo structure is what caught my attention. I had also never heard an album that followed a specific storyline before. Still today, that is my favorite album of all time, and "Comfortably Numb" remains my favorite song of all time.


No comments:

Post a Comment