Wednesday, March 16, 2016

3/16/16

I'm finally home for spring break! I can't believe the second quarter is already done. I think it went faster than fall quarter to be honest. I've heard people say they think spring quarter is the slowest of the year, but that's not how it felt to me.

Anyway, I went out for a few hours today because I was home alone and feeling bored. After I grabbed lunch, I made a stop at the record store I would go to almost once a week after school back in high school. It's a great place. It's small, but there's so much you can find there. My main goal was to look for Stevie Wonder vinyl because I really would like to explore more of his music since I've liked what I've heard so far. I picked up a copy of Fulfillingness' First Finale, since that is the next one Dylan recommended I get. He calls this album Stevie's "darkest" record, since it was released right after Stevie was in a bad car accident that put him in a coma for a bit. I played it as soon as I got home and really liked it. I think I will listen to it again before I go to bed.

That's not all I got. I also picked up a copy of The Yes Album as well as On the Threshold of a Dream by The Moody Blues. I do have a copy of that album, but it doesn't include the gatefold (I love gatefolds!) or lyric book, so I got a copy that had both of those things. When I went to pay for my records, the owner of the store noticed my Greg Lake Songs of a Lifetime shirt. He's seen me many times in the past but has only spoken to me a few times because I'm not much of a talker. Anyway, he asked if I had seen Greg in concert. I replied that I had and that I also met him after the show. The owner asked me what that was like. I told him Greg was definitely the kindest rocker I had ever met. We then started talking about the tragic death of Keith Emerson. He didn't understand why Keith had done what he did, so I told him that Keith had been suffering from depression for decades and also from a condition that was impairing his right hand. He then asked me if I had heard any music from Keith's first band, The Nice. I told him I had only heard their album The Thoughts of Emerlist Davjack, but nothing else. As I was about to leave the store, he stopped me and offered to let me borrow a copy of a collection of The Nice recordings from 1967-1969. If I like it, I can come back and pay for it. If not, I can simply bring it back. I accepted the offer. I've only heard the first disc so far, but I definitely like it. Keith really was something special.

 I'm finding it a bit hard to listen to any ELP lately, as do some of my friends. I'm just taking this one day at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment