Monday, March 21, 2016

3/21/16

I played a lot of albums today on the new turntable. They all sounded great even though they were old copies. To be exact, I played the following albums: Innervisions and Fulfillingness' First Finale by Stevie Wonder, The Yes Album by Yes, Trilogy by ELP, A Question of Balance  by The Moody Blues, and Year of the Cat by Al Stewart. I hadn't played my vinyl copy of Year of the Cat in a while so I was eager to try it out on the new turntable. My Crosley turntable, which I've had for almost three years, is a good starter record player, but nothing more. It's supposed to be the cheapest one you can possibly get. The biggest flaw I think is the fact that the tone arm isn't weighted really at all. I ended up having to tape a quarter to top of it because the lack of weight would cause the needle to skip on any record I put on, including brand new ones. The quarter made a huge difference, because now it never skips, except on extremely rare occasion. It's also great that my Crosley record player is portable, with a carrying handle attached to the side of it. That makes me able to take it with me to and from campus. Spring break is only a week long but I didn't want to go that long without it so I brought it home with me.

I got an email a few days ago that Ian Anderson will be making a stop in Riverside this October with his new rock opera, Jethro Tull. I couldn't pass up the opportunity (even though it's on a Tuesday), so we were able to get a ticket. Just one though. My dad won't be able to make it since it's in the middle of the week. It won't be the same going by myself, but I am still looking forward to it. I read some Ticketmaster reviews of the show. It seems as though people either loved it or absolutely hated it. I didn't find many in-between reviews. Most of the bad reviews were from people who were complaining about the condition of Ian's voice or expecting to see the full Jethro Tull band.

Only three days left until David Gilmour at the Hollywood Bowl. I can hardly wait. Eight months passed by extremely quickly. I've said this before, but I can't believe that it's already here. It's surely going to be a great night. I've never been to the Hollywood Bowl before. I hear it's a great venue so I am really looking forward to that. King Crimson taught me the importance of "embracing the moment," so I don't plant to take any photos at the show. I think that will allow me to enjoy the show more instead of having to stress over getting photos.

No comments:

Post a Comment