Friday, March 11, 2016

R.I.P. Keith Emerson

I really don't know what to feel right now, other than complete devastation. I know I have finals coming up, but this has been on my mind all day. What can you say when you wake up to find the following message on your phone?: "Keith Emerson has passed into eternity." As many of you are aware, Keith Emerson was a part of my second favorite band, Emerson, Lake and Palmer. Like I always do, I checked for a confirmation. I found the following note from Carl Palmer. :

"I am deeply saddened to learn of the passing of my good friend and brother-in-music, KEITH EMERSON. Keith was a gentle soul whose love for music and passion for his performance as a keyboard player will remain unmatched for many years to come. He was a pioneer and an innovator whose musical genius touched all of us in the worlds of rock, classical and jazz. I will always remember his warm smile, good sense of humor, compelling showmanship, and dedication to his musical craft. I am very lucky to have known him and to have made the music we did, together. Rest in peace, Keith.
Carl Palmer
March 11, 2016"

I am completely crushed at this news. David Bowie's death hurt a bit, Chris Squire's hurt a bit more, but this hurts particularly bad. ELP were the second prog band I was introduced to. The entire year of 2010 was devoted to me exploring their discography. I think I played Tarkus about once every day, along with Trilogy and Brain Salad Surgery. In April of that year, I had the honor of seeing Keith with Greg Lake at the Orpheum Theater. This was my first show at the Orpheum, which is now my favorite concert venue. Little did I know that certain people who also attended that show would later become my friends. That is a reason why that show is particularly special. My dad says that Keith stole the show. He truly was remarkable to watch and listen to. He had great stories to tell about his past, just as many older musicians do.

Anyway, I'm not just hurt by his death, but also by how he died. As the day continued, several sources reported that Keith was found with a "single gunshot wound to the head," and that his death is being investigated as a possible suicide. That destroys me to think about. I heard that the nerve condition in his hand that he had been struggling with had come back in worse form, and basically made it impossible for him to continue playing the keyboards. As a result, he struggled with depression. Without giving too much away, I have had my own bouts of severe depression in the past, and so was able to somewhat understand the despair he may have been feeling.

I am now sharing in the grieving process with my friends who had the pleasure of meeting Keith as well as with millions of prog fans affected by ELP.

No comments:

Post a Comment