Friday, April 8, 2016

4/8/16

Week 2 of the third quarter is done. Spring quarter is already going by fast. 

Anyway, I've made a number of Stevie Wonder additions to my music collection. I ordered a CD of Fulfillingness' First Finale off of Amazon, which arrived yesterday. I played it on my portable CD player (yes, I have one of those). It sounds great, but I enjoy my vinyl copy of it as well. On vinyl, I also ordered copies of Stevie Wonder's Journey Through the Secret Life of Plants and Music of My Mind off of eBay last week. The Secret Life of Plants arrived yesterday but I'm still waiting on Music of My Mind. I gave The Secret Life of Plants a complete listen last night since I had time. Dylan suggested that I not listen to that one until I had heard Fulfillingness' First Finale, since it's very different from Stevie's other albums. From what I've read, it was the album that marked the end of his "classic" era, which supposedly lasted from Music of My Mind to Songs in the Key of Life. I liked it, but I will admit it definitely was not like the other Stevie albums I have heard. It's a soundtrack to a documentary, so maybe that's why. Apparently a lot of people were confused by it when it was first released. I'm going home next weekend so I think I will grab my other vinyl Stevie albums to take back with me.

I think of the two David Gilmour shows I went to every day. It really was an incredible experience both times, though the first show was the most special since it was the first time. I had never been moved to tears at a concert before, not even when I saw Roger Waters perform The Wall in 2010, but that was because it was not David who was playing the solo during "Comfortably Numb" at that show. As much as I loved hearing The Wall performed live, I longed to hear David play it with my own ears.

No comments:

Post a Comment