Tuesday, April 12, 2016

4/12/16

I wrote my first poem for poetry class. It had to be at least 20 lines long so it was a good start. I thought I would share it. I will keep the inspiration for it a secret and let you all interpret it in your own way.



At home, one day,
when the sun was out,
and the dogs began their daily ritual of watching the house,
I wondered if maybe something could have been done
so that he may still be here today.
Suddenly, I heard a strange and distinct sound-
Knock-knock-knock - on my front door,
though the dogs were not disturbed,
(as they normally would be)
and nothing was out of place.
I went and opened the door,
but there was no one there.
No one, not a person in sight,
though one dog followed an invisible sight across the yard with his eyes.
The wind was steady as a rock.
We tried to imagine what his last hour was like.
His last our on this earth, in our lives.
Ideally, he was at home, behind the keys,
playing a piece called “The Parting.”
When the song ended, so did he.

2 comments: