Monday, April 25, 2016

4/25/16

Today is the 6th anniversary of a very special show I attended. It was my first time at the Orpheum, which is now my favorite concert venue. It was also my first time seeing Keith Emerson and Greg Lake. What makes that night particularly special is the fact that a number of people who were in that audience are now my friends. We all found each other through Facebook and the memory of that night connected us. Meeting those people led me to meet their friends, who, over time, became my friends. I now have a very special group of people I bond with through music and concerts. Sadly, I don't get to see them very often, but when I do, I make sure to cherish every moment.

The night of April 25, 2010, is now somewhat of a bittersweet memory to me, because it marked my first, and sadly, only time, seeing the late Keith Emerson. He blew everyone away and arguably stole the show. He put so much passion into every note he played. ELP were the first band to show me that you could have a successful band with piano as the dominant instrument. I had never heard of anything like that before, and I was stunned by it. It led me to develop a whole new appreciation for keyboard players.

I remember that Keith had so much to say that night, particularly during the Q&A session about halfway through the show. He told great stories about playing with The Nice and joining ELP. I enjoyed hearing the memories he shared. He really was a joy to watch and listen to. I will always remember that.

Thanks for an unforgettable night, Keith. We all miss you <3

No comments:

Post a Comment