Saturday, April 23, 2016

4/23/16

I had the day to myself and decided to spend it in Hollywood. I had never gone down there all by myself before, so I was excited to try it out. I drove to North Hollywood Station and took the subway to Hollywood and Vine. After a lunch of buttermilk pancakes at The Waffle, I walked to Amoeba Music. This was my first trip to Amoeba of 2016. I spent most of the time looking for Stevie Wonder music. I found some good things. Firstly, I found a better used vinyl copy of Music of My Mind. In addition, I also got a copy of In Square Circle, which was available for just a few dollars. On CD, I got Songs in the Key of Life as well as Signed, Sealed, and Delivered. I haven't heard the latter yet, but I'm pretty confident that I will like it. I have a lot of confidence in Stevie's music.

On a sad note, I found out that a good music friend of mine died this morning. He and I never got to meet in person, but he often commented on my postings and had such nice things to say. For my birthday one year, he even sent me a very special gift: a drumstick he had caught from Graeme Edge at a Moody Blues concert he went to back in about 1987. I have that stick kept safely in the box in which it was shipped. It's very sad to see these friends of mine go. It's sad, but I know that everything that lives faces death someday. I wish that weren't the case, though…

Death has been a subject on the minds of many people lately, with so many musicians and celebrities dying, the latest being Prince. It's sad to see all these people going, not just because their lives are ending, but also because it reminds us of our own mortality. Everyone will die at some point, but hardly anyone wants to be reminded of that fact. Since I have had my share of loss in the past, I have learned to enjoy every moment I have with people I care about, because you just don't know when they won't be here anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment