Sunday, April 3, 2016

4/3/16

I don't have very long because I have to finish a close reading assignment for poetry class.

I came home this weekend. I left early Thursday afternoon since class got out early. I came home because on Friday night, dad and I went to see Steve Hackett at our favorite concert venue, the Orpheum. I know my way around that place as though it were my second home. We had front row mezzanine seats, but in reality, there's no such thing as a bad seat at the Orpheum. No matter where you're seated, you always have a good view of the stage and the sound is always perfect. We've seen more shows at this venue than anywhere else, so we've experienced shows from many different vantage points.

This Steve Hackett show was different from the Genesis Revisited show we saw back in December 2014. We loved that show so much that we couldn't pass up the opportunity to see Steve again. This show consisted of two sets: one of solo material, and one of Genesis material. I was surprised that only two Genesis songs that were played during the 2014 tour were included in this set. Everything else was different. That's good, though. It's nice to mix things up and play some tunes that you haven't played in a while. I actually liked the solo material a lot. I think I will have to start getting Steve's solo albums since we don't have any at the moment.

I saw a number of people at the show with David Gilmour shirts from the Rattle That Lock tour. It's great that so many people were able to see him at least once. I'm still reeling from that week. It's only been a week since the second show but it feels like it's been much longer. Part of me wishes I could go back and do it all over again, but that usually happens when I go to a great concert, especially a concert I had been looking forward to for a long time.

Dylan is very excited for my trip to Portland and our drive to the Gorge for the two Phish concerts. I am too. I need to get more familiar with Phish's music, though. So far, I've only heard Rift and Billy Breathes. The biggest record store near campus often has a large selection of Phish CDs and vinyl available, so I will look there once I get back to campus.

No comments:

Post a Comment