Saturday, August 1, 2015

No better place to start than from the beginning

Hi friends and new friends. My name is J Michelle Sample, but you can call me Michelle if you want. I am currently 18 years old. I have been writing about prog and music in general since I was 16. I started this blog because I want to share my love of prog rock with others. I have been an active prog fan since the summer of '09, when I was introduced to Pink Floyd by my guitar teacher, and received encouragement from my dad to hear other very special bands like ELP, Yes, King Crimson, and Rush. All are wonderful, but Pink Floyd, to this day, remain my favorite group, because if it hadn't been for them, I probably would not have had the inspiration to branch out and discover all this amazing music.

As you may be able to imagine, it hasn't been easy for me to find many people my age who understand my taste in music. Having recently graduated from an all girls school, I spent the past six years immersed in a world of Justin Bieber, One Direction, and a somewhat odd obsession with The Hunger Games, with an occasional Pink Floyd fan here and there. Nonetheless, high school is over and done, and now I am about to being the next chapter of my life by going to university. There is much uncertainty regarding what the future holds for me, but I am hoping that I can connect with individuals my age who are willing to respect and appreciate my love of music, prog especially.

I have been to 29 concerts since 2010, when I saw the Experience Hendrix tribute show at the now demolished Gibson Amphitheater. Most of these concert experiences have been for these legendary prog bands, believe it or not. Some of these experiences include Yes, Rush, King Crimson, Steven Wilson, Greg Lake, and Asia. I have written entries on my other Facebook group "Prog Rock: A Teen's Perspective" describing some of those experiences.

I think it's also safe to say that I am a pretty "retro" person. When I'm not blogging about music or playing the guitar (been playing for over 7 years), I'm collecting vinyl records and CDs. It's a great activity that I always look forward to doing.

Anyway, prog has allowed me to meet some very special people and connect with people in a way that I don't normally do. Every moment is precious to me and I hope to continue to have many more of them in the future. I think this blog will be a great way for me to express my feelings on the music that has helped shape me into the person I am today.


Have fun and prog on! :)

J.M.

4 comments: