Sunday, August 23, 2015

Meeting Father Christmas

No this is NOT a Christmas entry. I felt a little inspired to write this after sharing this experience with my friends Brett and Stacey Briskin, when Dad and I met with them along with our friends Kathy, Jean, and Dylan at Trader Vic's for dinner before a Steven Wilson concert that night. The experience took place a little less than a year before that concert. It was May 18, 2012, and it was on that night when Dad and I headed to the Orpheum Theatre in L.A. to see Greg Lake of my second favorite band, Emerson,Lake,and Palmer, perform in support of his Songs of a Lifetime tour, where he performed songs that, in my opinion, illustrated his entire life, as the setlist contained ELP as well as songs written by some of his heroes like Elvis and The Beatles. Needless to say, the show was unbelievable, but after that, I experienced one of the best things that has ever happened to me, and I'll tell you about it (with help from my journal!).

The show started at approximately 8:30 p.m. Greg's cue came from Kanye West's song "Power," which includes a sampling of King Crimson's "21st Century Schizoid Man." The lights came on and he looked and sounded great. He had a nice choice of songs, for he included, not just ELP, but also King Crimson and covers of songs written by artists that were of great influence to him, like Elvis and The Beatles. Throughout the show, he told amazing stories about some of the biggest experiences of his life, from seeing Elvis perform, to getting his first guitar, after gaining interest from playing with a friend's one-string guitar. I was hoping to ask him why he considered ELP's album Trilogy to be especially important to him, as I had heard him mention its importance in various interviews. Before I knew it, the show was done, and it was time for the after-show. I entered the concession room with my Dad, accompanied by our friends Xhana, Victor, Rebecca, Freddy, and Bill. The wait ended up being two hours long, but we were all in a great mood. During that time, I finally met my friend Tony Ortiz, an archivist and good friend of ELP. After a picture with him, I had a nice conversation with the photographer, Ron Lyon, who took the shot. He loved hearing that I was a guitar player and interested in Greg's music. For the rest of the time, I amused myself by watching clips from the movie Eraserhead.

Two hours later, it was time. 

For some reason, the meeting was outside. I watched Bill have a fun talk with Greg and then, before I knew it, it was my turn.

After setting down my sweater (bad idea - it was COLD!) I heard the meet and greet photographer introducing Greg to Dad and I. Greg shook Dad's hand, and as he turned to shake mine, I held out my arms and it finally happened: we hugged. He and I embraced, and everything felt alright. He wondered how someone my age could be interested in music like ELP, and blushed when I noted that I had been a fan since age 12. He then began to mention "this girl you can look up on the Internet called Rachel Flowers. She has amazing talent," and I told him I knew exactly who he was talking about and had seen her perform the previous year in Santa Monica. I mentioned posting a question on his website when I was 13, asking what was the inspiration behind their album Tarkus. I was thrilled when he said he did after thinking for a bit. Then he signed my CD copy of Tarkus with: "To Michelle. Love, Greg Lake. XXX" How cute! While he was signing, I felt it was a good time to ask him how his new Dalmatian, Valentino, was doing. Knowing he has a strong love for animals, I was not surprised to see his face instantly light up with joy at the mention of his puppy. I was told that he was wonderful, and a very good little boy. I then mentioned my then 1-year old golden retriever, Lilly, and how much joy she brought me. He explained that the love of an animal is truly unique and special. Bill told me that, before Greg adopted Valentino, he had grieved for two years after the death of his previous dog. I could totally relate to that feeling, having just recovered from some personal tragedies in 2011. But I was mostly thrilled just to be having a normal conversation with someone from one of my favorite bands.  It was getting pretty cold out there, and I tried to hide my shivers, but he saw that I was cold and expressed concern, but I assured him that I would be fine. He then gave me a guitar pick, one side having the ELP logo, and the other having his own logo with his initials. I thanked him and, after pictures, hugged him again, and he expressed his appreciation for my attendance. He promised me that we would see each other again, and I certainly hope he is right.

I smiled the whole way home. That pick is now safe with the pick I got from Steven Wilson in 2011. Nights like these are the ones where, in the words of Neil Peart, "I wish that I could live it all again." It has now been over a year since that show, but I still feel the same impact it had the moment it happened. Over the recent years I've learned that these are the moments you simply cannot take for granted. The people you meet, and the things you experience, are what shape you as a person.



No comments:

Post a Comment