Sunday, October 23, 2016

10/23/16

A lot has been happening lately. First off, I finally got a part time job on campus. I work Tuesday afternoon, and Thursday and Friday evenings. I've already worked two shifts and I really enjoy it. I'm responsible for custodial tasks, so that means I do things such as cleaning tables, doing dishes, or vacuuming. Doesn't sound like much, but it's a good start. It would be cool if I could upgrade to a position like student manager eventually.

Second, this week I saw not one, but TWO concerts. I'll talk about the first one in this entry and then the second one in the next entry, since I have much to say about the second show I saw. The first show I saw was right in Riverside: Jethro Tull the Rock Opera, performed by Ian Anderson. I had been waiting to see this show for a long time and honestly wasn't quite sure what it was going to be like. From the reviews I heard, it seemed like people either loved it or hated it. Many of the bad reviews were from people who were disappointed that this show was not Jethro Tull (meaning it was not Ian Anderson, Martin Barre, Doane Perry, John O'Hara, and David Goodier together). After going to the show, I think I have a better understanding of why those people were disappointed. This show was, for the most part, advertised as Jethro Tull. That was what the marquee outside the venue said and that was what was printed on my ticket, so I can see where people are coming from when they mention misleading information. The show isn't advertised as "Jethro Tull: The Rock Opera" or "Ian Anderson plays the music of Jethro Tull."

The show itself was interesting. First off, it didn't take me long to realize that there was some sort of story line accompanying the music. However, I had no idea what it was, and I still don't really know. I meant to get a tour programme at the merchandise stand, but couldn't since it was cash only. Next, I figured out that there was a story line to the show when they featured "virtual guests" on the screen behind the musicians. They were in costumes, so I figured, "Oh, so this show must be about something."

Another common complaint I saw from people online was the quality of Ian's voice. Overall, he did great. As a musician he's still got it and he also still has a tremendous amount of energy for his age. However, I can sort of see what people mean when they say his voice is lacking. I won't lie. There were times where he didn't sound too great. But, having said that, I will give him props for not trying too hard and not pushing himself beyond his limits. I am glad he didn't do a Geddy Lee and attempt to hit notes he clearly couldn't reach or keep the songs in their original keys. That would have made matters much worse, in my opinion.

I didn't recognize every song but I knew a good number of them. I consider myself a very casual Tull fan. Even though I love Thick as a Brick to death, I'm pretty neutral on the rest of their albums. The rest of them seem to be hit-and miss, meaning there are some tracks that I like more than others.

Overall, this show was a lot of fun. I had a great time, but I don't think it's a show I would recommend to someone who knows nothing about Jethro Tull. I just think that the story line and all the puns and references throughout the show may confuse newbies. It's a show that seems to be targeting either longtime fans or people who are pretty familiar with the band's discography. Now, if you'll excuse me, I must finish my history homework.

7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment