Saturday, September 17, 2016

9/17/16

I've officially settled into my new apartment at UC Riverside. I'm ready to begin my sophomore year of college. Hopefully it will only be better. I'm taking four classes: two English, one computer science, and one history. The last two are requirements. I'm excited to finally have my own bedroom and a kitchen, since I enjoy cooking as a hobby.

Anyway, I made a big change on Wednesday. On Wednesday afternoon, I crossed off another bucket list item: get a tattoo. For about the last year or so I imagined myself getting the P logo from the Progressive Music Awards tattooed on my right upper arm. I knew that that would be a huge commitment, so I thought about it for a long time. Since I knew that the process of getting a tattoo was a particularly painful one, I decided that it would be better to get one symbol that represents all of prog instead of many individual tattoos representing different bands. To me, my new tattoo represents more than just prog. It represents what I feel strongly about, and how important music has been to me over the last 7 years. When I look at my tattoo I think of all the ripple effects that came out of my musical journey. That one day at guitar class back in 2009 led to the discovery of new music, new people, and a passion that I never knew I had. It represents the old music, the current music, and the music that's to come. The tattoo took about 2.5 hours to put on. I gritted my teeth against the pain of the needles racing across my skin, but I kept reminding myself why I was putting myself through this. I was doing it because I felt that strongly about prog. I felt strong enough about it that I was willing to have a symbol for it permanently marked on my skin. I wear my new ink proudly. Once it heals up (just in time for the Ian Anderson concert on October 18!) I will proudly display it.

No comments:

Post a Comment